Professor Mike Keppell
Graduate Division of Educational Research, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- completed a Dissertation titled: “Development and pilot-testing of a method to assist instructional designers elicit unfamiliar content from subject matter experts”
- completed a Candidacy paper titled: “A comparative analysis of advance organisers, graphic organisers and concept maps”
- studied curriculum and instructional theory, cognitive psychology, macro and micro instructional design theories as well as motivational design strategies for instruction
- achieved a perfect GPA of 4.00 for the eight subjects studied
- wrote a Qualifying Research Paper titled: “Knowledge acquisition, storage and retrieval in relation to map literacy: A comparison of two teaching methodologies”.
- studied curriculum, instruction, evaluation, qualitative and quantitative research methodology, philosophy, physical education and outdoor education.
- achieved a GPA of 3.76 (out of a possible 4.00) for the 13 subjects studied
University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- studied educational philosophy, psychology and sociology.
University of Queensland, Australia
- studied anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, history, sociology, psychology, ancient history, chemistry, education and teaching methodology.
- completed teaching qualifications within this degree program.
Who Am I?
I am Pro Vice-Chancellor (Learning Transformations) at Swinburne University. I attempt to empower teaching staff across all modes of learning, teaching and assessment utilising blended learning. I oversee the Learning Transformations Unit that is focused on learning technologies and teaching practices to meet student needs and expectations and opportunities available in the digital era.
- Focussed on redesigning learning spaces
- Enriching the on-campus student experience through blended learning
- Institutional adoption of authentic assessment
- Learning design to redesign Units and Courses
- Empowering staff through Scholarship of teaching and learning
- Personalised learning through ePortfolios
- Open educational practice creating open educational resources
- Engaging staff through the Graduate Certificate, Learning and Teaching
Surprising Things about Mike
- Selected in an Australian Under 16 Rugby Union team in 1977
- Played A grade rugby with Souths in Brisbane during the mid-80s
- Was an A grade squash player
- Has run marathons and ultra-marathons (100km in 1980)
- Completed a half-marathon over the Great Wall of China
- Was a scuba diving instructor for 15 years
- Completed under ice scuba dives
- Was an avid rock climber and ice climber from 1988-1993
- Has completed two Oxfam 100 km walks in 2009 and 2013
- Has lived in three different countries and seven different cities
- Studied at two universities and worked at another six different universities
- Is an avid traveller
- Was College Captain at St. Laurence’s College, Brisbane in 1978
- Was a spectator when ‘Eddie the Eagle’ completed his 70 metre Ski Jump in 1988 in Calgary
- Was a spectator at the bobsled event when the Jamaican bobsled team flipped their sled in 1988 in Calgary
- Lived through SARs in Hong Kong in 2003