- Queensland representative in Rugby Union from 1974-1979
- Australian Under 16 Rugby Union Representative in 1977
- A-Grade Rugby player Souths Rugby Union, Brisbane in the mid 80s
- Cairns Representative – Rugby Union in 1986/87
- 1986 – Cairns Touch football representative
- A-Grade’ squash player
- 100 km ultramarathon – completed a charity run in 13 hours in 1980
- Canadian Birkenbeiner – completed a 56 km cross country ski event in 1991
- Melbourne Marathon – completed half-marathon in 2002
- Hong Kong Marathon – completed half marathon in 2004
- The Great Wall Marathon – completed half marathon in 2004
- China Coast Marathon – completed full marathon (42 km) in 2005
- Oxfam Trailwalker – completed 100km walk in 40hours in 2009. See the 2009 team photos.
- Oxfam Trailwalker – completed 100km walk in under 40 hours in 2013
- Mt Kinabalu ascent completed in 2013
- Mt Kenya and Mt Kilimanjaro treks in 2011.
- Photos of Mt Kenya
- Photos of Mt Kilimanjaro
Rockclimbing – Ice Climbing – Mountaineering
- Avid rock and ice-climber in Canada from 1988-1993.
- Rock-climbing instructor from 1990-1994 at he University of Calgary.
1989-2004 – Active NAUI Scuba Instructor (15 years) (sustaining status from 2005 onwards). Certified over 100 divers in Canada and Australia.
Completed Openwater, Advanced, Master, Divemaster, Rescue and Instructor courses as well as specialist courses in night, deep, altitude, ice, salvage, equipment, underwater photography, Certified Ice-diving instructor in Canada.
Completed over 1000 scuba dives since 1978.
Mike has undertaken over 17 online photography courses through Betterphoto.com in the areas of: Portrait photography, photoshop, travel photography, flash photography and stock photography.
Mike’s virtual photography gallery can be viewed at: http://www.michaelkeppell.com
- Completed courses in creative writing and have completed a first draft of a novel titled: ‘Living for the Moment’
- Unlocking creativity course. The Writers Studio: Sydney.
- 10 month novel and script first draft online course. The Writers Studio: Sydney (2010).
- 12 month novel and script second draft online course. The Writers Studio: Sydney (2011).
Undertaking a 16 course Diploma of Remedial Massage with the Australian College of Massage that includes: Swedish, deep, sports and remedial massage. This includes over 200 hours of practical work as well as musculoskeletal anatomy.